MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Transportation (DOTr) has cleared once again the proposal of a super consortium of seven conglomerates to rehabilitate the congested Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA), bringing the P102 billion plan closer to finally taking off.
Transportation Undersecretary for planning Ruben Reinoso told The STAR that the agency endorsed the revised NAIA Consortium offer yesterday to the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA)’s Investment Coordination Committee (ICC).
“Based on our evaluation, it is compliant with the Clark template,” Reinoso said.
A revised proposal from the consortium to rehabilitate, upgrade, expand, operate, and maintain the aging NAIA for 15 years was previously accepted by the DOTr last May 1 after it was given an April 30 ultimatum by Transportation Secretary Tugade.
The unsolicited proposal was then submitted to the NEDA for review a few weeks after the DOTr’s acceptance.
However, the NAIA Consortium’s unsolicited proposal was returned by the government to the group early last month following a decision to require all proponents of unsolicited airport projects to pattern their concession agreements after the operation and maintenance contract of the Clark international airport.
The NAIA Consortium submitted last July to the DOTr and the Manila International Airport Authority its revised proposal, which it said followed the government’s directive of aligning its concession agreement with the Clark proposal.
Reinoso said the review took some time as it involved comparing the NAIA Consortium’s proposal “line by line” with the Clark airport contract.
The NAIA Consortium, composed of Aboitiz InfraCapital, AC Infrastructure Holdings Corp., Alliance Global Group Inc., Asia’s Emerging Dragon Corp., Filinvest Development Corp., JG Summit Holdings Inc., and Metro Pacific Investments Corp., has been granted the original proponent status (OPS) for its unsolicited proposal to rehabilitate, upgrade, expand, operate and maintain the country’s main international gateway.
The proposal involves the expansion and interconnection of the existing terminals of NAIA, upgrading of its airside facilities, development of commercial facilities to increase airline and airport efficiencies, enhancement of passenger comfort and experience, and elevating the status of the airport.
With the OPS, the consortium has the right to match better offers submitted by other proponents once a Swiss challenge is undertaken for the project.
Just last Wednesday, the Swiss challenge period for the New Manila International Airport project in Bulacan concluded with San Miguel Holdings Corp.’s P754 billion unsolicited proposal to build a new international airport going unchallenged.
The development of a new international airport in Bulacan and the rehabilitation and upgrading of the NAIA are among the projects that are expected to decongest the country’s main gateway and enhance the comfort and convenience of air passengers.
August 3, 2019