Business World, 03 December 2013
By K.M.P. Tubadeza
Asked during a forum in Pasay City yesterday what he wants to see a day before his term ends, the President said: “The attitude of the people, from being apathetic to really being involved, and weâ€™re seeing that now. But in terms of concrete manifestations of the same, maybe Terminal 1 [of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport or NAIA], I think, will be finished — the refurbishing by that time.”
“Hopefully, NLEx (North Luzon Expressway) and SLEx (South Luzon Expressway) — the connector will also be up and running by that time, and the TPLEx (Tarlac-Pangasinan-La-Union Expressway),” Mr. Aquino said.
“More importantly is the airports will be substantially finishedâ€¦ Panglao, Mactan, and so many others,” he also said, adding that he also hoped for “at least the start of the light rail systems.”
The P1.64-billion NAIA Terminal 1 rehabilitation project entails repairing mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire protection systems, as well as retrofitting the overall structure of an airport some critics have dubbed the worldâ€™s worst.
The Transportation department has moved the bidding for the project to this month. It was originally scheduled for Nov. 15.
The first phase of the P23.8-billion TPLEx was partially opened Oct. 30. It is a 17-kilometer road stretching from Tarlac City to Gerona in Tarlac province. It is expected to cut travel time between Manila and Baguio to two to three hours from six.
The P4.63-billion construction of a new airport in Panglao, Bohol is to replace the existing Tagbilaran Airport. The project is up for auction to Japanese contractors, according to a bulletin from the Transportation department last month.
Meanwhile, the Mactan-Cebu International Airport New Passenger Terminal project is being offered under the governmentâ€™s public-private partnership (PPP) program. The Transportation department is currently evaluating the technical proposals submitted by seven bidders.
Light rail projects in the governmentâ€™s pipeline include the P64.9-billion Light Rail Transit Line 1 (LRT-1) Cavite Extension, the P62.7-billion Metro Rail Transit 7 Project, and the LRT-1 North Extension.
GMA News, 03 December 2013
The Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) on Tuesday gave investors an April 28 deadline to submit their bids for the P65 billion Light Rail Transit line 1 (LRT1) Cavite extension project, the biggest public-private partnership initiative of the Aquino administration.
Qualification documents and bid proposals must be in not later than April 28, 2014, according to an Invitation to Qualify and Bid released by the department.
According to the DOTC, the Instruction to Bidders can bought at P1 million for new bidders and P500,000 for a new consortium if a member was previously pre-qualified by the department.
The document is free if a bidder consists of the all the original prequalified member.
The DOTC has adopted a single-stage bidding process, said spokesperson Michael Arthur Sagcal. â€śIn fact, we are expediting it. We will adopt the single-stage bidding process, and we will set the bid submission date in the earlier part of second quarter of 2014,â€ť Sagcal noted.
Under a single-stage process, bidders must submit qualification documents and technical and financial proposals in one go which compares with a two-stage bidding that includes a pre-qualifying stage.
â€śWe are still be following the same four- to six-month timeline from obtaining approval to set the bid submission deadline,â€ť Sagcal noted.
The DOTC will issue and make public the Invitation to Bid in line with the Build-Operate-Transfer Law for three consecutive weeks starting Tuesday. â€“Â VS, GMA News
Business Mirror, 03 December 2013
By Lenie Lectura
THE Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) on Tuesday issued the bid invites for the P64.9-billion Light Railway Transit Line 1 Cavite Extension, the countryâ€™s largest railway public-private partnership (PPP) project.
â€śThe DOTCâ€™s Special Bids and Awards and Committee (SBAC) is inviting local and international companies to participate in an open, fair and transparent single-stage bidding process. Interested parties may submit their qualification documents simultaneously with their technical and financial proposals in the international tender for the project,â€ť the agency said.
Under the single-stage bidding process, all interested groups will submit their qualification documents simultaneously with their technical and financial proposals, instead of having a separate prequalification phase. This will do away with the two-stage process, effectively cutting the entire period by around two months.
Interested bidders must submit all qualification documents and bid proposals on or before April 28, 2014.
The project has five components. The first is the Operation and Maintenance (O&M) of the existing Line 1 system composed of the depot, electrical and mechanical system, rolling stock stations, track and other related assets.
The second component involves the design, procurement, engineering, construction, installation, completion, testing and commissioning of the Cavite extension facilities which include the railway infrastructure and system components.
Basically, the project will extend the existing system by 11.7 kilometers (km), adding eight new stations, where approximately 10.5 km of the extension will be elevated and 1.2 km will be at grade.
The next component is the integration of the existing system and the extended system. The integration includes train control and signaling, communications and traction power supply to the integrated light railway system.
The fourth component is the O&M of the extended system.
The last component involves system upgrades, such as fleet upgrade, periodic restoration works and any required depot expansion works.
The DOTC and the Light Rail Transit Authority (LRTA), meanwhile, will be responsible for the financing, procurement, construction, installation and commissioning of the rolling stock component, which involves the procurement of 30 new four-train cars, and the depot development which covers the construction of a new satellite depot in Zapote to provide light maintenance works and expansion of existing Pasay depot to accommodate a larger fleet.
The DOTC earlier prequalified San Miguel Infra Resources Inc. and MTD Capital Bhd. of Malaysia; DMCI group and MTD-Samsung group; and Light Rail Manila led by Metro Pacific Investments Corp. and Ayala Corp. The first two groups withdrew their participation while the last group submitted a noncompliant offer.
They will not be required to pay for the Instruction to Bidders document which costs P1 million. â€śIf the previous bidder is a consortium, it need not pay for the Instructions to Bidders, provided that it keeps the original membership intact.
If a new bidder, which is a consortium, has a member any previous pre-qualified bidder or any consortium member of a previously prequalified bidder, such new bidder must pay only P500,000.
â€śBidding is open to all interested bidders, whether local or foreign. International parties can participate in all components, except O&M. The entity operating a public utility should follow nationality requirements as prescribed by the Philippine Constitution and existing laws,â€ť the DOTC added.
Philippine Daily Inquirer, 03 December 2013
By Miguel R. Camus
At least five groups are keen on the second auction for a tweaked version of the governmentâ€™s P64.9-billion Light Rail Transit Line 1 (LRT-1) Cavite extension project after the Transportation department on Tuesday issued an invitation to bid.
The groups are the Consunji familyâ€™s DMCI Holdings Inc., Metro Pacific Investments Corp. of businessman Manuel V. Pangilinan, San Miguel Corp. and MTD-Samsung, a Malaysian-Korean group and the only foreign participant thus far.
Megawide Construction Corp., another active player in the governmentâ€™s public-private partnership program, will purchase bid documents as well, Megawide chief marketing officer Louie Ferrer said Tuesday.
The LRT-1 deal will now be auctioned off under an expedited â€śsingle-stageâ€ť process, where qualification, technical and financial proposals will be submitted on April 28 next year, the bid invite from the Department of Transportation and Communications showed yesterday.
The railway deal, the largest under the Aquino administrationâ€™s PPP program, involves the construction of a mostly elevated 11.7-kilometer railway extension from Baclaran to Bacoor in Cavite. The winning bidder will then operate the entire LRT-1 system for a period of 32 years.
The LRT-1 extension aims to provide an affordable commuting alternative for about four million people living in ParaĂ±aque, Las PiĂ±as and Cavite, the DOTC said. About half a million people use the existing LRT-1 system in Metro Manila daily, but that figure may increase by over 60 percent once the extension line is complete.
All the companies, apart from Megawide, had been prequalified for the first bidding round on Aug. 15. The first round was declared a failure when some of the prospective bidders withdrew or, in the case of Metro Pacific, submitted a non-complying offer, due to viability issues.
Philippine Daily Inquirer, 03 December 2013
By Miguel R. Camus
FOR ALL its success, the Sy familyâ€™s SM Group still contends with snide remarks from mostly non-billionaires on the â€śshoe boxâ€ť design for many of its ubiquitous shopping malls.
But no one threw those remarks during the bid submissions for the P17.5-billion Mactan-Cebu International Airport PPP last week, where SM was among seven bidders for the governmentâ€™s first airport deal.
The â€śshoe boxâ€ť mall operator went all out with presenting its own bid documents, contained in neatly stacked boxes inside a wheeled white cabinet with a dramatic sliding panel.
For those who havenâ€™t been to a bid submission like this, it is often a monotonous multihour event where balikbayan-style boxes are wheeled in, unsealed, then documents are checked before the boxes are resealed for evaluation later.
It is probably for this reason that SM unveiled its bid documents to collective oohs and aahs from the crowd of mostly lawyers from rival camps. One or two couldnâ€™t help themselves and stood up to record the event with their smartphone cameras.
Even Transportation Undersecretary Jose Lotilla quipped that such flair and drama would not provide added points for any bidder.
This light episode aside, the strong interest in the project comes at a time when the Aquino administration is battered by other issues, from various natural disasters to the fallout of the Napoles pork barrel scandal.
Some have suggested that those other issues could come to define the Aquino administration, which is more than halfway through. But others believe there is still time, and the successful implementation of the remaining PPPs would do much to avert this.
The Manila Times, 03 December 2013
By Rosalie C. Periabras
The Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) has invited local and international companies to participate in a single-stage bidding process for the P64.9-billion Light Rail Transit Line 1 Cavite Extension (LRT-1 Cavex) Project.
The single-stage bidding process means that interested groups will submit their qualification documents simultaneously with their technical and financial proposals, instead of having a separate prequalification phase. This will do away with the two-stage process, effectively cutting the entire bidding period by around two months.
The DOTCâ€™s Special Bids and Awards Committee (SBAC) has invited all interested bidders, whether local or foreign, to submit their qualification documents together with their technical and financial proposals in the international tender for the project, which consists of the following components:
1. Operation and maintenance (O&M) of the existing Line 1 System composed of the depot, electrical and mechanical system, rolling stock, stations, track and other related assets;
2. Design, procurement, engineering, construction, installation, completion, testing and commissioning of the Cavite extension facilities;
3. Integration of the existing system and the Cavite Extension;
4. O&M of the extended system; and
5. System enhancement works covering whole-of-life investments for the extended system.
In an invitation to qualify and bid published by the DOTC, the agency and the Light Rail Transit Authority (LRTA) said that it will be responsible for the financing, procurement, construction, installation and commissioning of the aforementioned, which will be operated and maintained by the winning concessionaire.
Once implemented about 500,000 commuters of the LRT-Line 1 who live in the cities of ParaĂ±aque, Las PiĂ±as and in the province of Cavite will benefit from the Cavite extension project.
The Philippine Star, 02 December 2013
By Dennis Carcamo
MANILA, PhilippinesÂ – The Department of Transportation and Communications on Monday said it is expediting the bidding of the P65 billion Light Rail Transit Line 1 Cavite Extension project.
“The only delay was in the schedule of the NEDA (National Economic Development Authority) Board meeting.Â Otherwise, we are still following the same four to six-month timeline from obtaining approval to set the bid submission deadline,” DOTC spokesperson Michael Arthur Sagcal said following reports of delay in the project.
He added that the DOTC is facilitating the bidding process of the country’s biggest Public Private Partnership project.
“We will adopt the single-stage bidding process, and we will set the bid submission date in the earlier part of second quarter of 2014,” Sagcal said.
In a single-stage bidding process, interested groups will submit their qualification documents simultaneously with their technical and financial proposals, instead of having a separate pre-qualification phase.
The process will do away with the two-stage process, effectively cutting the entire period by around two months, Sagcal said.
After the original bid for this project failed last August, the DOTC improved certain economic terms in the concession, which required NEDA Board approval.
These improvements include a provision that would oblige the government to pay real property taxes, ensuring the integrity of the facilityâ€™s structure for a two-year period, permitting a five-percent fare increase upon completion of the project, and allowing the submission of negative bids.
The NEDA Board approved the improvements in the terms of the project last Nov. 21.
The LRT-1 Cavex project retains the major components of the original scope of works, such as the operation and maintenance of the entire LRT-1 system for a 32-year concession period, and the construction of an 11.7-kilometer southward extension from the Baclaran station to Bacoor, Cavite.
It entails the construction of eight new stations, plus two future stations, in ParaĂ±aque City, Las PiĂ±as City, and the province of Cavite, which would open up access to education and employment opportunities in Metro Manila to a total of around four million people who live in the area, the DOTC said.
Based on the Build-Operate-and Transfer law, the DOTC will publish its invitation to bid for the improved LRT-1 Cavex project for three consecutive weeks this December, beginning tomorrow, Dec. 3.
Yahoo, 03 December 2013
Manila, Philippines – The Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) is adopting a single-stage bidding process for the P65-billion Light Rail Transit Line 1 Cavite Extension Project to shorten the bid period by at least two months.
DOTC spokesperson Michael Sagcal said bidders will be asked to submit qualification documents, technical and financial proposals all at the same time under the single-stage bidding process.
After the first bidding for the project failed in August, the DOTC is expediting the process to make up for the lost time.
â€śWe will adopt the single-stage bidding process, and we will set the bid submission date in the earlier part of the second quarter of 2014,â€ť Sagcal said.
The first bidding in August was declared a failure after only oneÂ bid was submitted which was found non-compliant.
The DOTC then revised the concession agreement for the contract to make it more appealing to bidders. This was approved by the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) Board chaired by President Aquino.
The improvements in the terms of the project involve government absorbing the obligation to pay real property taxes, ensuring the integrity of the facilityâ€™s structure for a two-year period, subsidizing unexpected surges in power rates beyond a particular range, permitting a five-percent fare increase upon completion of the project, and allowing the submission of negative bids.
The NEDA Boardâ€™s approval also entailed an increase in the project cost from P60-billion to P 64.9 billion due to the addition of several components to the projectâ€™s terms.
The new components include â€śsome remedial and rehabilitation works for the existing system such as repairing the carriage viaduct, rehabilitating existing trains especially their roofing, as well as making the LRT-1 system compliant with laws and regulations.
Also included was the â€śinstallation of equipment which will be part of the common ticketing system called the Automatic Fare Collection System, which is being bid out by the DOTC separately, for the Cavite extension portion of LRT-1 only.â€ť
The LRT 1 Cavite Extension Project is touted as the single most-expensive infrastructure project of the Aquino Administration. While private sector invests P30 billion for the civil works on the extension to Bacoor, the government will spend another P30 billion to procure 39 new train sets for the mass transit line, apart from acquiring and delivering the required right of way, constructing satellite depots and implementing the automatic fare collection system that will lead to a unified ticketing system for all rail lines.
The winning bidder will be given the rights and privileges as a concessionaire for a period of 30 years. The concessionaire will receive the proceeds of the fare collection but assumes ridership risk, undertakes future system maintenance and upgrades, and permits commercial development of the facility.
The LRT 1 serves an average of 500,000 passengers a day, keeping a highest daily ridership record of 659,000 in February 2012.